Fast Facts – Tourism at a Glance
- The Hampton Roads region has over 40,000 hotel rooms. Norfolk has over 5,100 hotel rooms, including over 1,500 in Downtown Norfolk.
- Construction is underway on the Main, a Hilton hotel and conference center downtown. The project is being developed by Virginia Beach-based Gold Key | PHR Hotels and Resorts. The 23-story hotel will have 300 rooms; three restaurants and a rooftop garden and bar; a 500,000 square foot, high-tech conference center; and a 600-space parking garage.
- Tourism and conventions employ nearly 7,000 workers in Norfolk and generate $27.1 million in state taxes and $22.6 million in local tax revenue
- Travelers to Norfolk spend nearly $745 million annually
- The city acquired the Battleship Wisconsin in spring 2010. Since 2001, 2.2 million visitors have toured the USS Wisconsin, which saw action in World War II, Korea and the first Gulf War.
- Of the top most frequently visited cities in the state, Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk rank just behind Richmond.
Sources: Virginia Tourism Corporation, VisitNorfolk, and City of Norfolk