Norfolk Works supports hiring and training initiatives, hiring incentives, and builds talent pipelines to support new development, expansion, and existing Norfolk businesses.
Norfolk Works can:
- Connect businesses to new talent pools: colleges, workforce centers, transitioning military – over 10 unique sources of Norfolk talent.
- Create and host networking events, job fairs, and hiring events (for larger events, venue and staff may be included)
- Promote job openings
- Assist with diversity hiring initiatives
- Research and provide Labor Market Information (LMI), i.e. wage information, salary comparisons, etc.
- Connect with our talent partners to:
- Deliver a large number of potential candidates to your organization
- Identify monetary hiring and training incentives and provide technical guidance (local, state, and federal incentives)
Norfolk Labor Force Data
The region’s economy is diverse with the largest employment concentrations related to the Department of Defense and health care. The 20 largest private-sector firms in Hampton Roads employ 12.3% of its workers while the 20 largest public sector institutions employ 16.1% of its workers. The Department of Defense employs more than 30,000 civilians in the region as the largest employer. Four hospitals appear among the top 20 private employers in Hampton Roads. – 2010 State of the Workforce
Norfolk Employment By Sector
Jobs in High Demand
Shipbuilding and Advanced Manufacturing - The Skills to Succeed Inventory is a comprehensive study of the careers in the manufacturing sector on the Virginia Peninsula conducted with the top 14 employers. The Inventory resulted in 11 Career pathway profiles representing 11,150 jobs in advanced and precision manufacturing technologies on the Virginia Peninsula 2012-2016. The jobs and number of openings are as follows:
- CNC and Robotic Operators - 350 openings
- Coating Specialists - 1,300 openings
- Electricians - 1,700 openings
- Engineers/Engineering Technicians - 200 openings
- Fabricators/Sheet Metal Workers - 950 openings
- Fitters - 1,600 openings
- Machinists - 1,200 openings
- Managers - 150 openings
- Pipefitters - 1,850 openings
- Repair Technicians - 150 openings
- Welders - 1,700 openings
The Virginia Tidewater Consortium for Higher Education (VTC) is a consortium of thirteen institutions of higher education, including four community colleges, four public colleges and universities, four private and a National Defense University.
Opportunity Inc. is a workforce development organization formed to address the region’s needs for a workforce that is “second to none,” of sufficient quantity to meet employer demand and equipped with the skills that support the expansion of the region’s economy. It is a partnership between the elected leadership of the eight jurisdictions of South and Western Hampton Roads (Chesapeake, Franklin, Isle of Wight County, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Southampton County, Suffolk and Virginia Beach) and a business-led Board of Directors that includes business executives, educators, economic development professionals, labor representatives, leaders of community-based organizations and representatives of the region’s political leadership. The organization has been tasked with providing the leadership necessary to deliver a sound workforce development strategy for our region.
Workforce Resources for Veterans
- ODU Veterans Business Outreach Center
- TCC Center for Military and Veterans Education
- Regent University Military Resources
- Virginia Values Veterans (V3)
- Opportunity Inc Veterans Resources
- Hampton Roads Military and Federal Facilities Alliance
Tidewater Community College provides training and assessment services for over 30 industry certification and licensing classes and various programs in maritime, ship repair, health care, construction, retail, global studies, defense and homeland security.
Norfolk Developing Apprenticeships See how the city of Norfolk Development and BAE are building the local skilled workforce together.
- 100 Bank Street
- Norfolk, VA 23510
- PH: 757-763-6064
- Monday-Friday 9am - 1pm