Norfolk is first in the region for health care facilities, with over 1,200 licensed hospital beds in top ranked facilities. Sentara Healthcare, our largest private employer, is one of the most progressive and integrated health care system in the nation.
Print a copy of our new Heathcare Assets here
Sentara Norfolk General: Sentara Norfolk General is a Level 1 Trauma Center, one of only five in Virginia, and houses the Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance. The hospital is a 525-bed hospital located on the campus of Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS). The U.S. News and World Report ranked Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) as one of the top 50 hospitals for cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, and nephrology; along with being ranked as high-performing in the specialties of cancer, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics, orthopedics, and urology in 2018-2019. It was also ranked first in Hampton Roads and third in the state. Additionally, SNGH has been recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program, a program that recognizes excellence in nursing care, an honor bestowed upon only 7% of all U.S. hospitals.
Sentara Heart Hospital: Located on the campus of SNGH, the Heart Hospital offers 112 inpatient beds and 45 pre- and post-outpatient procedural rooms. It is the first and only heart hospital in the Hampton Roads region. They define their heart care as comprehensive in that they provide advanced diagnostics and imaging, minimally invasive heart procedures, heart surgery, heart transplants, and much more. The hospital has five cardiac operating rooms designed to conduct 2,000 cardiac surgeries per year. The U.S. News and World Report ranked Sentara Heart Hospital 32ndin the nation in their 2018-2019 Best Hospitals for Cardiology and Heart Surgery rankings.
Sentara Leigh Hospital: Sentara Leigh Hospital is a 250-bed hospital offering specializations in orthopedic, cardiac, advanced imaging, general surgical, urological, gynecological, obstetrical, and comprehensive breast care services. It is home to the Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh, which has 48 beds for orthopedic care. Renovations were concluded in 2016 that included two 5-story patient towers, a multi-story parking garage, and a two-story atrium lobby for visitors and patients. It is ranked by the U.S. News as the 13thhospital in Virginia and the third in the region in 2018-2019. It has also been recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program.
Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters: CHKD is a 260-bed not-for-profit hospital. It has specialties in neonatal and pediatric intensive care, cancer care, acute inpatient rehabilitation, medical and surgical care, and transitional care. It is the only freestanding pediatric hospital in Virginia. CHKD’s Emergency Center attends to over 47,000 children per year. CHKD also serves as a teaching hospital and houses Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Pediatric Residency Training Program. Its Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is the largest in Hampton Roads and treats children with life-threatening illnesses and injuries.
Eastern Virginia Medical School: EVMS is a medical school whose campus includes Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, EVMS’ main teaching institution, and the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, the home of its Pediatric Residency Training Program. There are over 1,400 students enrolled in 21 programs. EVMS is home to the Sterlitz Diabetes Center and the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, the first IVF clinic in America.
Sources: https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/and https://www.sentara.com/hospitalslocations/sentara-norfolk-general-hospitaland https://www.evms.edu/patient_care/specialties/jones_institute_for_reproductive_medicine/
Lake Taylor Transitional Care Hospital: This not-for-profit medical facility specializes in transitional care and rehabilitation and recovery and provides long-term acute care to intermediate nursing care.
$625 MILLION IN NORFOLK MEDICAL/HEALTHCARE CATALYTIC INVESTMENT UNDERWAY
- CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL OF THE KINGS’S DAUGHTERS
- The $224 million new psychiatric medical facility is under development. CHKD is developing a medical psychiatric unit for patients who require acute medical and psychiatric resources and support.
- SENTARA NORFOLK GENERAL HOSPITAL
- The Helipad on the rooftop of Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is part of the $199 Million expansion.
- WAITZER HALL AT EASTERN VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL
- The $80 million, 11 story tower New Education and Academic Administrative Building was completed in 2020.
- SENTARA BROCK CANCER CENTER
- The new $93 million center will bring together expert care teams from Sentara Medical Group, Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Virginia Oncology Associates, and other community physicians. Outpatient oncology services centralized in one cancer center will give patients and their families access to a single location for multiple appointments and treatments. The project was completed in 2020.
- SENTARA LEIGH ORTHOPEDIC MEDICAL OFFICE BUILDING
- The $29 Million, 50,000 SF medical office building was completed in 2020.