Norfolk’s advanced and specialized hospitals, medical research facilities, and numerous educational programs make Norfolk an ideal location for healthcare, life science, and biomedical companies. Our numerous hospitals are nationally ranked and treat patients from across the region and beyond. The presence of such institutions results in Norfolk’s labor force including experienced medical and science professionals, exiting military personnel, and graduates of specialized educational programs, all of which create a talented pool of workers for companies in this industry to draw from. Additionally, Norfolk is beginning to establish itself as a competitor in the biotechnology industry with emerging biotech companies and innovative biotech research pursuits at local universities.
Below are just a few of many medical, biotechnology, and healthcare-focused programs available at our local higher education institutions:
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Biomedical Sciences Research
- Laboratory Animal Science
- Biomedical Engineering
- Physical Therapy
- Health Services Management
- Healthcare Analytics
Medical and Research Facilities:
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital: A large 525-bed medical center, SNGH serves as the primary teaching institution for the adjacent Eastern Virginia Medical School. It is one of just five Level 1 trauma centers in Virginia and is home to nationally ranked heart program at Sentara Heart Hospital.
- Sentara Leigh Hospital: SLH is a 250-bed facility specializing in orthopedic, cardiac, advanced imaging, gynecological, obstetrical and comprehensive breast care services. It is home to the Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh with 48 beds dedicated to specialized orthopedic care.
- Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters (CHKD): The only freestanding children’s hospital in Virginia, CHKD treats infants, children, teens, and young adults aged 0-21 via its 206-bed hospital and network of pediatric services in 40+ locations.
- Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS): EVMS is a public medical school best known as the first institution in the U.S. to have produced a viable fetus through in vitro fertilization. It is also known for its Cancer Research Center, which has received recognition for new cancer detection treatment.
- Old Dominion University: ODU, a public doctoral research institution, has partnered with EVMS to develop a bioelectrics research center, where electric fields and plasma are used in vaccine development, gene delivery, and tumor treatment.
- Norfolk State University: NSU is a public, historically Black, research university with programs in Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Kinesitherapy and Health Services Management.
- Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
- Medical Programs: Doctor of Medicine, Dual MD and MBA
- Doctoral Programs: Biomedical Sciences (PhD), Clinical Psychology (PhD), Doctor of Medical Science (DMSc), Health Sciences (DHSc), Medical & Health Professions Education (PhD), and Reproductive Clinical Science (PhD)
- Master’s Programs: Art Therapy and Counseling (MS), Biomedical Sciences Research (MS), Contemporary Human Anatomy (MS), Histotechnology (MS), Laboratory Animal Science (MS), Master of Healthcare Administration, Master of Medical and Health Professions Education, Master of Public Health, Master of Surgical Assisting, Medical Master’s (MS), Pathologists’ Assistant (MHS), Physician Assistant (MPA), and Reproductive Clinical Science (MS)
- Certificate Programs: Graduate Certificates in the following: Anatomy, Applied Data Science, Art Therapy, Clinical Andrology, Clinical Embryology, Core Public Health, Epidemiology, Healthcare Management, Laboratory Animal Anesthesia and Handling Techniques, Medical and Health Professions Education, and Surgical Assisting
- Old Dominion University (ODU):
- Bachelor’s Degrees: Biochemistry (BS), Biology (BS), Cytotechnology (Health Sciences) (BS), Dental Hygiene (BS), Environmental Health (BSEH), Health Services Administration (BS), Medical Laboratory Science (BSMLS), Nuclear Medicine Technology, Nuclear Medicine Technology (BSNMT), Nursing (BSN), Public Health (BSPH), and Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology (BS)
- Master’s Degrees: Athletic Training (MSAT), Biology (MS), Biomedical Engineering (ME), Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MSEd), Community Health, Dental Hygiene (MS), Nursing (MSN), Public Health (MPH), and Speech-Language Pathology (MS)
- Doctorate Degrees: Advanced Practice (Nursing Practice) (DNP), Biomedical Engineering (PhD), Biomedical Sciences (PhD), Health Psychology, Health Services Research (PhD), Kinesiology & Rehabilitation (PhD), Nurse Anesthesia (DNP), and Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Certificates: Adult Gerontology, Biomedical Engineering, Cytotechnology (UG), Family Nurse Practitioner, Global Health, Modeling & Simulation in Health Sciences, Molecular Diagnostics, Neonatal Physician Assistant, and Nurse Educator
- Norfolk State University (NSU):
- Bachelor’s Degrees: Biology (BS), Exercise Science (BS), Health Services Management (BS), and Nursing (BSN)
- Master’s Degrees: Healthcare Administration (MSA)
- Doctorate Degrees: Clinical Psychology (PhD)
- Certificate: Health Services Management
- Tidewater Community College (TCC):
- Associate’s Degrees: Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound), Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Health Information Management, Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Administrative Assistant, Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assisting, Physical Therapist Assisting, Radiography, and Respiratory Therapy
- Certificates: Computed Tomography (CT), Critical Care, Emergency Medical Service/Emergency Medical Training, Health Sciences, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Medical Administrative Assistant, Nurse Aide, Pharmacy Technician, and Phlebotomy
Healthcare, Life Sciences, & Biotechnology
|Total Jobs in Norfolk (2022)||17,019|
|Weighted Average Earnings per Job in Norfolk||$91,024|
|Payrolled Business Locations in Norfolk (2022)||515|
Source: Lightcast Q1 2023 Data Set
Key Employers in the Healthcare, Life Sciences, and Biotechnology in Norfolk
|Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters|
|Eastern Virginia Medical School|
|Sentara Heart Hospital|
|Sentara Leigh Hospital|
|Sentara Norfolk General|