Norfolk Innovation Corridor – A Technology Zone – Visit the NIC Website!
Background: The Technology Zone was adopted by City Council on January 1, 2017 to encourage existing and new technology businesses to form, locate and expand in specific areas within the City (see Norfolk Innovation Corridor Map). Qualified Technology Businesses are eligible for an abatement of the Business, Professional, and Occupational License (BPOL) or Machinery & Tools tax, depending on the nature of the company.
The following is provided as guidance only. If you are interested in this program it is highly recommended you read the entire ordinance.
Benefits of the Technology Zone
Why should your qualified business be a part of Norfolk’s Technology Zone? Read about the list of incentives here.
Benefits of being in the Norfolk Innovation Corridor.
Find out about the eligibility requirements here.
- Prepare a formal letter requesting designation as a qualified technology zone technology business.
- Sample New Business Letter
- Sample Divested Technology Business Letter
- Sample Existing Business Letter
- Sign and send a scanned copy of the letter to George Hoddinott at:
- Or by mail to:
- Mr. George Hoddinott
- Business Development Manager/Economic Development Zones Administrator
- City of Norfolk Department of Development
- 999 Waterside Drive, Suite 2430
- Norfolk, VA, 23510
- Economic Development
- Verification of:
- Business Location
- Business Technology Activities
- Verification of:
Business type (New, Divested or Expansion)
- Preparation of Certification Memorandum
- Send Memorandum to City Manager for approval.
- City Manager
- Review Certification Memorandum and sign with approval or disapproval.
- Return to Development
- Forward to Commissioner of the Revenue.
- Commissioner of the Revenue
- Review to ensure company is current in all taxes and fees owed to city.
- Issue tax reduction
If you have any further questions, please contact the Economic Development Department at 757-664-4338.