NORFOLK, VA – Norfolk’s Southside Biz Café Pitch Competition awarded several small businesses that participated in Norfolk’s Biz Café 5-part Small Business Series. The Biz Cafes are presented by the Norfolk Department of Development’s Small Business Initiative for entrepreneurs on their way to starting and growing their own businesses. The Biz Cafes provide new and existing businesses with information, guidance and resources needed to move forward and achieve success. They offer financial, marketing, management and technical assistance at no charge to Norfolk residents.
The Pitch Competition event is the result of a partnership formed last year with co-hosts Hampton Roads Workforce Council and are funded by the SunTrust Foundation.
Below are the winners of the Southside Small Business Pitch Competition:
- Category: Food Service
- The Smoothie Stand serves all-natural fruit, vegetable, and organic ingredient smoothies. It offers other organic snack bars and water as an alternative beverage. Nicole Jordan, Owner. $1500 award.
- Category: Entertainment/ Technology
- Xceptional Girls LLC is a company dedicated to inspiring young girls to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, arts, math and green projects. They will offer project-based learning kits, cartoon series, app games, and career-oriented classes that will assist girls in experiencing real life careers. Donesha Stancil-Potts, Owner. $1500 award.
- Category: Adult Group Home
- Covenant Connections LLC provides a safe and structured environment for adult males and females who suffer from substance abuse and mental disorders. The company provides housing, employment and peer support classes which will assist in their individual success. Ebony Thomas and Marqueta Harris, Owners. $1500 award.
- Category: Mobile Foodservice
- Rollin’ Juices is a delivery service for all-natural, local, organic smoothies, smoothie bowls, and cold-pressed juice and plant-based milk.
- Category: Home Healthcare
- In Good Hands provides quality care in the comfort of one’s home. Service is driven from love and compassion for promoting independence for seniors while being in good hands, God’s hands. Shenika Smith, Owner. $500 award. Nia Vargas, Owner. $500 award.
Stage: Early Stage
- Industry: Pet Food
- Crumbsnatcher Café features all natural freshly homemade canine and cat treats. The treats contain no sugar, salt or preservatives, whole-grain and grain-free flours along with organic ingredients. Ediya Brookins, Owner. $1500 award.
- Industry: Beauty & Personal Care
- Tangles Fancy Wig & Hair Boutique offers high quality commercial hair replacement in a total private salon setting. They customize cut-color-and style in-store as well as create and re-create wig hairstyles designed to fit customer needs. Rebecca Williams, Owner. $1500 award.